Steps to becoming a deacon:
1. Discern the call. To help with this step, the Archdeacon conducts a class on discerning the call. Contact us to learn when this class will next be offered. Discerning is an on-going process through-out the education process.
2. Submit the application. New applicants can click here to download our application. Your pastor and Congregation President are asked to sign the application as an indication of their support and their intention to call you at the end of the training process. Traditionally, during the training process, you will begin to take on additional responsibilities similar to what you may be doing under your call later.
3. Submit the request for background check. Go to https://www.oxforddoc.com/members/authform.asp to initiate the check. The application screen will ask for information about who we are. Contact a member of the Exec Board to get the Client Number and the Position Code. Complete all the information requested, and, if you are able, send $35 to cover the costs to the Treasurer:
Deacon Robin Schaefer
Halethorpe, MD 21227
4. Submit a 300 word Faith Journey entrance essay, have an initial interview with the Candidacy Committee, and read and sign the Visions and Expectations document.
5. Watch for the class schedule or announcements, and register to attend classes.
6. During the first year, a psychological exam must be scheduled at the candidate's expense. Contact us for information about where this can be done. Allow half a day for the exam.
7. Plan to be part of the life of the Order: the Annual meeting, retreat, and other events, workshops and seminars.